Storö is located between Möja Söderfjärd and Rödkobbsfjärden. The island’s size is 2.74 km². Parts of the island are nature reserves. Regular boat connections with Waxholmsbolaget’s boats are available at Hagede brygga on Storö from Stockholm via Vaxholm and from Stavsnäs. Storö has since the Middle Ages belonged to Harö Town in the Djurö parish. It was a long time uninhabited bait island, but when a change was made at Harö in 1856 some of the farms were moved to Storö.
When the economic map was established in 1902, there were four farms on Storö; Lugnet, Nyrödja and two at Hagede. For many years there has been a bridge between Harö and Storö at the Boat Cross across a bursting canal, replacing a more northerly, located, grounded swimming. The island’s first steamboat bridge was located at the Båtkroken, on the southwest side of Stora, and was circulated until around 1920.