History

Djurö Church was opened in 1683 by the church leader Ericus Noraeus. Joseph Månsson began the building of the church and in 1682 the project was in full swing. The work of building Djurö church was completed by Månsson’s family, specifically by the son of Erich Furugren.

The Church Building

The church is built from horizontal timbers on a paved stone foundation. It consists of a rectangular room, and two extensions have since been added. The northern extension houses the Vestry, and the south, originally a gun house, has now become the baptistery of the church. During the southern expansion, a tomb vault was created in which the Captain Furugren was buried in 1700. A stand was created on top of the gunhouse. The church holds 150 people.

Furnishings

The altar is as old as the church, dating from 1683. It is a well crafted wooden in a rustic baroque style painted in light blue, red, white and gold. The middle part shows Christ in Gethsemane. He is surrounded by angels and at the bottom you can see the sleeping Peter and Mary Magdalene.

The pulpit dates from the 1830s and was probably installed with the current stands. Both of these works were part of the 1835-1838 restoration, including an older pulpit.

The bench layout was given its current design in 1933. The pyramids and the carved trim on the front benches were remade in 1934.

The church has five crucifixes. One of them is a larger crucifix of southern German or Austrian origin. They have been dated to about 1500 and hang over the entrance the Vestry.

Oil Paintings

Djurö church is unusually rich in oil paintings. In 1853, twelve oil paintings were mentioned, ten of them are still hanging in the church. The painting to the left of the altar represents Christ as the painter’s man. Another is an oil painting on wood from the 17th century with the motive of Christ in front of Pilate. This is a copy of Rembrandt’s painting that hangs in the National Gallery, London. The text “Ecce Homo” is available at the bottom of the canvas. The oil painting on the southern corridor shows the deposition and is a copy of Rubens classic. This painting was donated in 1939 by G Schönmeyr.

Votive Ship

The Votiv ship that hangs in the long house, “Nordstiern”, was made in 1706. It was handed over in the 19th century as a gift to the National Museum of History. After applying pressure several times to get it back, it returned in 1933. The church was given a model of the barge  Ragnar Harald from the middle of the 19th century, placed in the choir in 1928.

Church Organs

Djurö Church has always had an organ. This was rather rare from churches of this period. When the church was renovated in the 1830s a new, larger and more appropriate instrument was recommended. The organ used today was built in 1852 by A V Lindgren and has since been rebuilt several times. It has 9 pipes, 7 are identical to the original instrument of Lindgren. The tractor is mechanical and the parts are distributed across manual and pedal. The keyboard is just like that of the original instrument and is located on the north side of the organ house.

Belfry and Church Bells

The present red-painted bell tower with white features was built from 1835-1836 and is located on the north of the church. The two church bells were cast in 1908 by J A Beckman & Co in Stockholm. Since 1940 an electrical playing mechanism has been in operation for the bells. The old iron bell from 1705 was bought by the Nordic Museum in 1909. Its inscription highlights the church of Djurö as an early seamans church :

“Dhe as the highest grace of wyda hafwet prijsa. To this his chapel’s gratitude to point out. Get out of four ships, King Oloff, Cronor Tree, Hedvig Victoria, The Clown Wehlat Gie. ”

Cemetery

In the first half of the 17th century there were two cemeteries attached to the church, one in the present location and the other further in at Djurhamn. The current cemetery, surrounded by the wooden fence, has been expanded several times. A circular memorial lies in the part of the cemetery that was developed in 1986.

Welcome to Djurö Church!

Djurö Church

Djurö Kyrka, Djurö kyrkväg, Djurhamn, Sweden


Djurö Kyrka, Djurö kyrkväg, Djurhamn, Sweden

Get Directions